Charges dropped against Disney Cruise ‘youth host’ accused of fondling boy

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on reddit
Reddit

A Disney Cruise Line “youth host” who was accused of groping an 11-year-old boy aboard a ship is going free after the victim changed his version of the story.

Miami-Dade prosecutors, Monday dropped charges against Oliver Lovatt. He’d been jailed since his arrest in May. Lovatt’s trial on charges of lewd and lascivious battery had been scheduled to start on Monday.

Lovatt, 25, worked with children at the “Oceaneer Kids Lab” aboard the Disney Magic ship. The center offers “imaginative themed activities and games” for kids between the ages of 3 and 12, according to the cruise line’s website.

In April, according to police, the boy said Lovatt twice fondled him during games inside the youth center. After the second “incident,” the boy asked employees to call his mother. He told her what happened, and she reported it to ship security.

Footage from surveillance cameras, while not “conclusive on its own,” generally backed up the boy’s account, according to prosecutors. When interviewed by Miami-Dade police detectives, Lovatt “did not deny” a touch happened but suggested “any contact was accidental and would not admit any lewd intent,” according to a memo by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

The boy and his family live outside of Florida.

The case fell apart, according to the memo released Monday, when the boy returned to Miami on Oct. 17 for a deposition with Lovatt’s defense lawyer.

During the deposition, the boy said the contact was less a grab than a “touch that lasted approximately one second” — and he couldn’t be sure it was intentional, according to a a memo by Assistant State Attorney Charlie Heinemann.

A review of the video showed the defendant “poked the victim” several times on the side on his waist. While that violated Disney employee policy, prosecutors determined they could not prove lewd and lascivious battery beyond a reasonable doubt at trial.

On Friday, prosecutors offered a plea deal to a charge of misdemeanor battery. Lovatt rejected the offer.

The boy’s parents decided that they did not want to go through the “difficult process” of traveling back to Miami and having the child testify, according to the memo. On Monday, the state announced it was dropping the case.

Lovatt lists himself as an actor, singer, dancer and choreographer from Manchester, England. According to his online profile, he trained at The Arden School of Theatre in Manchester. He was also an accomplished child actor in his hometown, according to a 2008 story in the Keighley News.

Source: Miami Herald

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on reddit
Reddit

Disney News, Rumors, Trip Planning & More!

If you love Disney World then you will love Capture The Magic Podcast where we discuss all things Disney. Whether you are planning a trip and/or wanting to stay up on the latest Disney news & rumors we’ve got you covered

More To Explore

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Out The CTM Christmas Collection & Save 10% Today!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Scroll to Top

WE HAVE A FREE GIFT FOR YOU!

Just fill out the form below and we will send you our book "Saving Money At Disney World: 19 money & time saving tips to make your trip a Success" absolutely free!